5.29.2013

Elin K Quist: A Birth Story

This is pretty long and quite detailed but I don't want to forget anything!

I had an  appointment on Thursday the 22nd, the day before my due date.  I was still dialated to a 2 and 50% effaced(I was the same at the last appointment).  Normally my doctor won't induce until 1-2 weeks after the due date but because Nate's law school finals were coming he said he would induce me on Tuesday the 23rd if I hadn't had her yet.  I went on lots of walks that weekend and Sunday and Monday I had some pretty strong contractions.  I thought I would go into labor but the contractions would not stay consistent. 
Right before I was induced. Yes I know, I was huge. 

So here came Tuesday and we checked in at 7:00 am.  At 7:50, they gave me cytotec.  It is a pill that softens the cervix.  They wanted to try that and see if it would start my labor, and then if it didn't, they would do pitocin.  At 9:15 am,  Nate left to school.  We figured I would be a while and he had a full day of classes so I told him to go.  My mom flew in on Monday so I had her there which was great. I could not have made it so far into labor without my mom. She was my rock.

My mom and I went and got breakfast and then walked the hospital until 11:50. I got checked at 1 pm and I was at a 4 and 90% effaced.  In my mind I had always wanted to make it to a 4 before I got my epidural but labor was pretty manageable so I decided to keep going.  The hospital I delivered in was 2 years old so it was so nice. In my bathroom I had a giant jacuzzi tub so at 1:15 I moved to the tub.  It was so amazing.  After that experience I think I could do a water birth.  Although the contractions were really starting to hurt at this point.  Nate came back at 2:00. I had asked for an epidural but there was someone ahead of me.  At 2:30 they gave me a drug to help me relax for the epidural. It basically just took the edge off of the contractions.  I was also at a 6 at that point.  At 4:00, they came in to give me my epidural.  I was then at a 7.  Got the epidural and it wasn't bad at all.  My doctor doesn't like to give a strong dose of the epidural so I could still feel my contractions and was able to move my legs. At 5:10 my water broke on its own.  That was a weird feeling. At 5:30 pm I was at an 8. I was ready to push at 7. Up until this point, I really didn't think labor was bad. In fact it was actually quite enjoyable. But that was all about to change.

I started pushing with Nate and the nurse helping me. The first hour is a blur. I couldn't feel much and so I don't think I was pushing very effectively.  The nurse also told me that she was still quite high.  At the 1 hr. mark they said that she was stuck against my pelvis and that I was going to have to push hard. I could feel when I would get a contraction and then I would push. I couldn't believe the intense pressure I felt while pushing.  In my mind I thought, oh I'll get an epidural and not feel anything.  Not the case for me.  I had moments where I thought it would never end and I was quite discouraged.  Pushing for 2 1/2 hours was by far the hardest thing I have ever done! Nate and my nurse saved me, they were both so encouraging and wonderful! At 9:34 pm, she was here! She was out to her chest and my doctor told me to reach down and pull her out.  I was a little out of it and she was pretty nasty but I grabbed one side of her and the doctor had her other side and we pulled her out.  It was such a neat experience to literally bring her into this world. They plopped her on my chest and Nate cut the cord.  In my phone I added a note shortly after she was born. "Swallowed a little meconium but was just fine. Apgar score was 8.  Did skin to skin shortly after birth for 2 hrs. So special. 12 am moved to room and was able to walk around. E went to nursery with daddy.  They came back a little before 2.  Babes is now sound asleep.  Best day ever."
Nate and E right after the birth.
E and I the next day.
The day we went home.

It truly was the best day ever. The love I have for this little girl is so special and something I've never felt before nor could I describe.  Those that are parents I'm sure can relate.  It is quite crazy to think we are parents but we are absolutely loving it!

4 comments:

Aubrey DeGraffenried said...

Congrats Jan, i'm glad she came & that everything is good!

jeff & mal said...

So sweet! She is a beautiful babe. I'm sure she already looks so different...post more pics!

Lyndsey said...

Hey! I had saved your blog on a bookmarked list and I just came across it! Yay! She is darling; so happy for you guys!

Lyndsey said...

Oh, it's Lyndsey Fagerlund-not sure how big the pic comes up so you could tell it was me. :)